Fourth of July is just around the corner and I have started to plan the menu for the dinner I am hosting for my extended family. What could be a more delicious way to celebrate the red, white, and blue than with cherry pie? We are right in the middle of cherry season here in California, so this is the time of year I get to indulge. This pie is simple and delicious. I am still new to baking, so I'm not great at making the pies look pretty. But when they taste this good who cares, right? :) Cherry season is short, so run out and pick some up to bake this fantastic pie!
your favorite double pie crust recipe
6 cups sweet cherries, pitted
1 1/8 C sugar
10 tsp corn starch
1 Tbsp butter
1/2 tsp almond extract
- Prepare your pie crusts and set aside.
- Preheat the oven to 375.
- In a medium saucepan, combine the cherries, sugar, and cornstarch. Let sit for 10 minutes to draw out the cherry juice.
- Bring to a boil over medium heat, stirring constantly. Reduce heat and simmer for about 5 minutes until the juices thicken.
- Remove from heat and stir in the butter and almond extract. Mix thoroughly and pour into prepared pie crust.
- Cover with the top crust and crimp edges to seal. Make several small cuts in the top to allow steam to escape.
- Bake for 45-55 minutes, or until the crust os golden brown.