Last week I showed you how to make the classic caprese salad. Today I have another way for you to enjoy that delicious combination of flavors - in a panini!! This is such a simple meal and it is great for lunch or dinner. It is a wonderful way to give kids an alternative to plain grilled cheese that they are sure to love. Adults can eat these with tomato slices and bigger pieces of basil, but I choose to dice the tomato and cut the basil into ribbons so it is easier for my daughter to eat. Enjoy this sandwich with a salad made from other summer vegetables.
crusty white bread (I usually use a french miche for paninis)
sliced mozzarella cheese
tomatoes, sliced or diced
basil, cut into thin ribbons
- Butter the outside of the bottom pice of bread.
- Place a single layer of mozzarella cheese on the inside of the bread.
- Layer with tomatoes then basil.
- Scatter a few more pieces of cheese on top of the tomatoes and basil.
- Place the other slice of bread on top and butter the outside.
- Place into a heated panini press and cook until the cheese is melted and the bread is golden.