OK. This may be the coolest thing ever. If you haven't guessed, I love pizza. It is, hands down, my favorite food. I love that you can make so many different variations, and as a vegetarian, one of the foods I miss is chicken pot pie. It has such great flavors and is just so comforting. Now, I have found a way to enjoy that same experience in a PIZZA!! This was so much fun!
If you wanted to make it super simple, you could use a bag of frozen mixed veggies, but since my local organic farm had all but the peas available, I decided to use their fresh veggies. I prepped them and steamed them to make my own veggie medley for this pizza and it was really easy - and don't they look beautiful? :) And what a great way to get kids to eat more veggies!
Instead of pizza sauce, you make a simple broth thickened with a basic roux. If you are not a vegetarian, feel free to use chicken broth, but if you are a vegetarian I would really suggest using Imagine No Chicken Broth. Vegetable broth would work, but the No Chicken broth takes it to the next level. It truly tastes like chicken pot pie!! I thought about adding cooked and shredded Gardein chicken, but opted against it this time. Next time I think I will give it a try. It's so good, it might be a part of my next vegetarian Thanksgiving dinner! :)
Ingredients (makes 1 pizza)
3/4 C finely chopped carrots
3/4 C peas
1/2 C green beans, trimmed and chopped into 1/2 inch lengths
1/2 cob of corn, kernels removed
1 pizza crust
1 Tbsp butter
1 Tbsp flour
2/3 C Imagine No-Chicken Broth
1/2 tsp ground sage
1/2 tsp dried thyme
1/4 tsp salt
1/4 tsp pepper
4 oz shredded mozzarella
1/3 C freshly grated parmesan
- Using a steamer, steam the green beans for about 1 min, then add the carrots and peas and steam until crisp tender (about 5 mins).
- Set aside to cool and add the corn kernels to the veggie mixture.
- Heat the oven to 475 degrees with the pizza stone inside.
- Melt the butter in a medium saucepan over medium-high heat. Add the flour and whisk until smooth. Cook for 1 minute. Add the broth and whisk constantly for 2 minutes until it thickens and begins to bubble. Whisk in thyme, sage, salt, and pepper and cook for 1 minute more. Remove from heat and let cool for 10 minutes.
- Prepare the pizza crust. Spread the sauce evenly over the crust leaving a 1 inch border. Top with mozzarella. Layer the mixed vegetables evenly over the pizza. Sprinkle with parmesan.
- Bake until crust is golden and cheese just starts to brown (about 15 minutes). Let cool about 5 minutes before serving. Enjoy!!
Adapted from - Family Fun September 2012